Suggest treatment for whitish swollen lesion on tongue

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question:
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Traumatic ulceration, management explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description , it is most likely a traumatic ulcer. OINTMENT containing cetalkonium chloride and choline salicyltae can be applied to the are for the associated pain and irritation. Clindamycin or doxycycline or ampicillin plus cloxacillin should be prescribed to prevent any superimposed infection especially if the lesion is draining blood. Chlorhexidine 0.2 % mouthwash should used 3 times a day. If the lesions persist beyond ten days after treatment , then you should consult your doctor / oral physician to assess for the need of an oral brush biopsy to rule out any malignancy.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 29 minutes later
I've tried to send you different parts of my tongue. One shows the oldest ulcer/lesion, another shows how white and swollen it is and the last one shows where it looks like to me that there are new ones starting on the edge of my tongue. They look white but you can see the outline of more starting to appear .What are these and why am I getting them? I hope you will be able to shed more light on the matter with these photos. Thank you so much. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for uploading the images.

I am sorry for your distress.

Yes, its traumatic ulceration. In addition, the tongue appears fissured with whitish discoloration . B COMPLEX VITAMINS and FOLIC ACID supplementation should also be advised for a month in consultation with your doctor. One shouldn't jump to a conclusion of malignancy, before at least two weeks of empiric treatment for the clinically evident cause explained in my previous reply.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

For future correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil