Suggest treatment for whitish red rashes on fingers

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

I m 24 years old male and have developed rough white red rashes on the side of my right fingers and some red dots above the wrist of the right hand.
Rashes at the side of the Fingers itches a lot.

I have attached pictures.

Please help me.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It is looking like scabies, an infection caused by mite.
I treat such cases with a topical application of permethrin lotion.
A single dose is enough for complete cure.
It is important that all the family members living in a single house should be treated even if they are asymptomatic.
This will prevent cross infection.
You can meet your doctor and discuss regarding this.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for taking up my question.

One month back i had unprotected oral sex,
Is that the reason for scabies?

My thigs,hands and elbows are itching a lot.
Please let me know i am really worried.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is possibility of cross infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
If the girl was infected you might have got it from her.
There is nothing to worry.
It is totally curable.
You can get permethrin prescribed by a physician and give it a try.
It is safe and effective.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Hello Doctor,

I've followed your advice and had applied permethrin cream between my fingers yesterday before sleeping.

As of today,The redness has become comparatively less and better but the itching still persist.

I could also see that white thing on the side my fingers on the right hand

For current condition,I'm again attaching the pictures.

My side locks are also itchy and so is the side of my neck and hair scalp.

Please help me out.

Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Improved

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and fresh photograph.
It's looking better.
Itching persists for around 15 days even after treatment.
You can use a mild steroid lotion like desonide in night along with an antihistamine for 15 days.
This will control itch and help in faster healing.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

I have been following your advice and it has indeed helped me a lot.

However, almost everyday i m noticing red rashes on my neck just below my left ear and at times on the outside layer of the ear.

I really am not understanding why is that even happening.
It is itchy and upon scratching it becomes very red.

I'm attaching a picture for the same.

Please help me out in this regards

Thank you.

.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photograph.
I hope you are not applying permethrin daily.
Daily application might lead to such allergies.
Also it should not be applied over face and neck.
You can apply a mild steroid cream like cortisone over the affected area.
It should help you.
It's safe and available over the counter.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 hours later
Hello Doctor,

I am very much concerned about my rashes on my ear, neck and below my neck.
I am not applying permethrin daily.
My rashes on neck, ear and below the neck are appearing foralmost everyday.

I have attached new pictures for the same.

Please help me.

Thank you.

I am not understanding the cause.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It is looking like urticaria an allergic condition.
It happens while on treatment for scabies.
The antigens released from dead Mite can lead to such reaction.
Just relax you will be fine.
Apply cortisone cream and take anti histamine tablet.
This should help you.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 days later
Hello Doctor,

I'll follow your advice and ill apply the prescribed cream wherever i feel itchy or redness.

Thank you very much for helping me out in this regards.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T