Suggest treatment for white spots and itchiness on head

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have white spots and itch in my head and I went to the doctor and I have been using different kinds of shampoo but with no result
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
From the description it seems either it is seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis scalp.
In SD you get itchy red lesions with greasy scales while in psoriasis one gets well defined red round plaques covered qith thick dry silvery scales.
Please upload a pic of scalp, so that I can make a probable diagnosis and suggest appropriate treatment. Also let me know what medicines you have used so far.
Hoping to hear from you soon
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 35 minutes later
it white spots and sometimes red itch and when I use the shampoo it decrease and for almost 1 or 2 days and then return back quickly and I have been in this situation for almost a year
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the pics attached. I can just see a small red lesion with no overlying scales. Probably the use of medicated shampoo has removed the scales.
As the lesion is localised and single, its difficult to say whether its SD or psoriasis.Treatment in such localised cases of SD or psoriasis remains the same.
I would advise you to use a ketoconazole and tar/salicylic acid based shampoo, three times in a week. Apply it over scalp keep it for five to 10 minutes then wash off. Also apply a steroid lotion over affected area twice in a day. Once the lesion is gone, continue the shampoo once in a week to prevent recurrence.
SD or psoriasis both can be brought under remission and control, however cant be cured. Sometimes once under remission these might not occur for long time. SD usually occurs in an oily scalp and is itchy.Psoriasis lesions are not usually itchy. If your scalp is oily, avoid using oil over scalp and wash it quite frequently.

Hope this helped.