Suggest treatment for white patches on the penis after a circumcision

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 9 year old was circumcised 11 days ago. Still has some scanning and white patches. Stitches are visible. We have a beach vacation next week and I was wondering if he can swim.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
should be healed by that time, if not can bathe for short periods

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Currently he is day 11, but the time that he goes to the beach, it ,may be close to 2 weeks since the procedure which means that he should be healed. In general is takes approximately 10 to 14 days.
Scarring would be expected and the white patches are a part of that.

The sea water would likely prove to be helpful at this stage because it would help to clean the wound and increase the chance of healing if it is giving problems.
He needs, as much as possible, to avoid getting sand and any other contaminants in the wound though by the time he goes to the beach, it should be healed in spite of visible stitches now seen.

Absorbable stiches are usually used so they would dissolve on their own

Active or strenuous sports are avoided at least up to 2 weeks after the procedure and though he may approach this 2 weeks by the time he goes, it would be best to do very little swimming and just bathe in the water for a short time (l30 to 45 mins) for the first few days of your leave if it does appear completely healed by that time.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
He will be 19 days post op by the XXXXXXX we go to tge beach. Will that be enough time. Is it true that there is certain dangerous parasites in the gulf of mexico that can harm it?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
definitely should be enough time

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the delayed reply

19 days should definitely be enough time. If it is healed and the lesion is closed then parasites or other foreign materials would not be able to get into the wound

Please feel free to ask anything else