Suggest treatment for white flaky dry skin on the penis

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I see white flaky dry skin on my penis .It only happens when erect. No red patches, doesn't itch. I have sex often without proper lube. Is it an infection?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Xerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

After going through your query I can make out that you probably have a condition known as 'Xerosis' which is due to extreme dryness of skin. It is not an infection.

I suggest you to use a moisturizer, once or twice daily e.g Elovera moisturising cream.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 days later
hi everything was fine for 3 days but when again I had sex yesterday the dry area bruised looking red and pains a little (no itchiness though) . How many days do I wait for it to heal completely? because I really feel like it's healed and okay when my penis isn't erect.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upload an Image if possible and also provide more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

There seems to be a possibility of yeast/ candidal infection as well since you always seem to develop this condition after an intercourse. If that is the case, you may benefit from an empirical treatment with a topical antifungal i.e clotrimazole 1% cream + beclomethasone dipropionate 0.025% cream (e.g clotrin-B cream) for candidal infection. However, I would really appreciate if you can upload a representative image of your exact concern area so that I am able to guide you better.

You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with subject line as Attention:Dr.Kakkar.

Also I would like to know whether do you have a single or multiple sexual partners? Do you have protected or unprotected intercourse? Whether your sexual partner (s) complain of any discharge or itching per vaginum? Are there any visible sores?skin breaks? at affected site

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 23 hours later
the area in the image and the small shiny area on the glans are the affected areas . It feels dry there and pains like the skin has cracked after pressure but no itch. I have a single partner and she hasn't complained about any itchiness or discharge though I had episodes of this dry skin problem for over 5 weeks now . she's on contraception so we have unprotected intercourse . I'm very convinced it's not an infection but ain't sure.application of vitamin E oil is proving to be helpful.How do I proceed ? Thanks for all your support :)
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermatitis; topical moisturiser and moderately potent topical steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you. I have reviewed the Images.

Seems like an eczematous dermatitis of skin on shaft of penis, also on glans. Apart from using a moisturiser, you would benefit from using a moderately potent topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% Or triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream, twice daily, for a few days.
These are prescription products and I suggest that you use them under supervision of a dermatologist in your area and only for the recommended duration.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 23 hours later
Steroid cream is proving to be really effective. Feeling more comfortable even after an erection right after the very first application . How many days do I use it also do I apply moisturiser and momate together or at different times.?

Thank you very much. This problem was really troubling me like for a while . Feeling so much better now :)
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
May use steroid cream for 10-14 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may use steroid cream only for 10-14 days and under supervision of your doctor. Apply it 15-30 miniutes after moisturiser, twice daily.