Suggest treatment for white, crusty substance on lips

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: why do I have a white, crusty substance on my lips each morning and i am continually swallowing?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to white crusty substance on lips

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

The white, crusty substance on your lips each morning is indicating that there is overproduction of saliva during night, most probably due to:
- upper GI problems (gastritis, GERD/reflux)
- upper respiratory infection (throat for example)
- mouth infection (bacterial, fungal, viral, etc.), especially if you are having lesions in your mouth.
- you sleep with open mouth (nasal airways blocked due to inflammation or polyps)

I advise to get further examined by your doctor in order to determine the right cause and treat it accordingly.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
Let me know if you need further clarifications!