Suggest treatment for white coating on the tongue

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My tongue is coated in white, the only way to get it off is to scrap it, or use heavy lemon water,taste terrible and I have a very thick mucus. I have seen 2 dentists, 2 ENTs and a regular doctor twice. So far none have told me what it it or how to get rid of it, I have had for almost 3 yrs. What kind of doctor can I go to that can help me?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Candidasis, consult oral pathologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

White tongue indicates candidiasis which can be due to poor oral hyugiene, dehydration, fungal infection, liver disease and/ leukoplakia. If you are maintaining good oral hygiene and its still persisting then go for biopsy where oral pathologist can scrape a small part of coating and test it for confirmation. In case it is due to some systemic disease then physician can help you out.

Meanwhile, you clean it with tongue cleaner and apply antifungal gels(eg. Nystatin) for symptomatic relief. Also do regular mouthwash Chlorhexidine and drink lot of water and juices to control dehydration.

Hope I've answered your query, feel free to ask further.

Wishing you good health

Kind regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee