Suggest treatment for white coat hypertension

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,
Im 34 female . Just gave birth 3 months ago. During labor i had high bp and they started me on pills . The problem is that during my dr appt my bp goes high ,where at home it goes back to normal . They r weaning me off the pills gradually but why do i panic and does it effect the bp when im scared and panic ? Thanjs
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms seem to be related to White Coat Syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to "white coat syndrome".

This is a known disorder, which occurs in up to 4 % of normal persons. It is explained by the anxiety and fair related to the medical consult.

You have nothing to worry about.

This disorder is benign and from the data based evidence it is shown that these episodes of high blood pressure are not harmful and do not raise your cardio vascular risk.

As such, they don't need to be treated with antihypertensive therapy.

Regarding pregnancy and hypertension, it is true that antihypertensive therapy may be needed for a short time to control high blood pressure, and after some months, as your blood pressure decreases, the antihypertensive therapy is gradually stopped.

But the episodes of high blood pressure during your doctor appointments are not related to pregnancy.

Anyway, some tips would help you manage your anxiety and fear regarding the medical consult:

-consult with the same doctor (GP), so he will become a little more familiar to you
- try anxiolytics during the consults (alprazolam,etc.)
- avoid taking caffeine the day of your medical appointment
- psychotherapy could be really helpful in facing with your anxiety.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 hours later
Is the HBP risky when its left unctontrolled or can it effect someone suddenly ? Sometimes i worry that it can shoot up very high while im scared and get effected
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

You should know that these episodes of high blood pressure are not harmful.

When you have a basal blood pressure (most of the time normal), your blood pressure can not exceed a certain value.

But in other persons, who suffer from chronic arterial hypertension, their blood pressure can also increase to values above 180/110 mm Hg. In this case, the risk of possible intracranial hemorrhage would be high.

As I explained before, white coat syndrome does not expose you to any higher cardio vascular risk and does not need to be treated.

Anyway, I recommend you to monitor your blood pressure, different times during the day, to be sure that your blood pressure values are within the normal limits most of the time.

If your blood pressure values are above 130/90 mm Hg most of the time, an antihypertensive therapy should be taken.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri