• question-icon

Suggest treatment for whiplash injury

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello,

For the last 25 years I have suffered from a moderate whiplash injury that involves my neck, spine and lower back. Over the last 3 weeks I've suffered worsening sciatica where it has become very painful to sit, stand and walk. I have been having chiropractic treatments over the years and my back usually improves quickly. This time the pain seems much worse and there has been no improvement for the first 3 days. The chiropractor did say my muscles were very tense and areas of my lower back were knotted. Do you think the pain will improve over the next week or two? And is there anything else I can try without taking strong pain relief medication? Your feedback will be welcome.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can try physiotherapy and Lumbar Belt.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.

Whiplash injury you suffered 25 yrs ago may not be responsible for your current backache or sciatica. In my opinion sciatica is caused by pressure on one of the nerves in spinal cord, and the pain is distributed accordingly.
Pain may improve in a week or so with current treatment and if there is no improvement , then I would suggest you go to a physio for Interferential therapy and use a lumbar belt for short time. The physio will teach you exercises for long term.

In case you don't get relief with physio and belt, then you will have to take short course of pain killers and muscle relaxants.
I hope to have been of help to you .Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 47 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your helpful feedback. I was considering in purchasing a chair that specifically supports the lower back to help ease sciatica. Also, my Chiropractor suggested going back within the next few weeks but do you think I should consider physio first if the pain doesn't improve?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Physio will help. Specific chair is a good idea.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I think physio is going to help you at present. Also chair with back support is a good idea.
Thanx for the question.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanx

Detailed Answer:
thanx.
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 0 minute later
That's great. Thanks for your help Doctor.
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon