Suggest treatment for wheezing, runny nose, cough and shortness of breath

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have wheezing, clear mucus running nose, and a cough. No fever. A little shortness of breath. Should I see a doctor. Is there an otc substitute for albuterol?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral condition with wheezing,use aerosols.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HealthcareMagic.

I gone through your concern and understand your concern.

As per your history, it seems to be a viral situation with cough sputum, wheezing and breathlessness, no fever.

If you don't have any other serious disease like heart failure, you can try some inhalers medications in the form of aerosol with corticosteroids (Clenil ) combined with bronchodilatators (Ventolin-which is Salbutamol ) for at least 3 days twice per day, mucolytics and paracetamol.

If not better within a while, you should see your doctor for further examinations like blood tests and a CHEST X Ray.

I don't think there is an OTC substitute for albuterol (so please obtain the necessary prescription from your local physician).

Take care, feel free to ask further.
Wish you a fast recovery
Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee