Suggest treatment for wheezing and persistent cough in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 6 month old son is suffering from Wheezing and Cough. I am giving him nebulization with Levolin 0.31mg 3 x times a day and T-minic drops. The doctor has not advice any antibiotics. My query is whether T-minic drops are ok or I can try any alternate non antibiotic medicine.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not use antibitocs for wheezing - not necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Please do not use antibiotics for wheezing. Basically wheezing is due to seasonal changes/ allergy and inter-current viral illness. Antibiotics are not indicated and if unnecessarily used may lead to antibiotic resistance in future.

I completely agree with your pediatrician in not using an antibiotic for wheezing.

You can continue T-Minic drops.

I have a few questions for you - please get back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.

Questions:
1. How many days per month do the kid cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month do the kid’s sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does the kid feel breathless when he is active and playful?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Does he cough when he cries or laughs?
7. What was age when he first developed this wheezing?
8. What is his exact date of birth and current weight?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 minutes later
// Usually he vomits when have cough as he is diagnosed Laryngomalacia, doctor advice to wait for at least one to two years. He do not feel breathless
//No such condition
// Very Active and playful, do not feel breathless but do have cough
//Yes, happened first time
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.? No
//Cries
//one week back
//13/09/2016, 4.6 KG
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a viral associated wheeze

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I understand your concern. Looks like a viral associated wheeze.

I do understand that he has got laryngomalacia, but if he has got noisy breathing since birth especially while sleeping and feeding, that means there might be a congenital airway anomaly also.

Moreover he is underweight for his age.

Keeping all this in mind, I suggest that...

1. Do not nebulize with Levolin, it will aggravate the airway problem.

2. Use Ipravent for nebulization.

3. Best is to use Ipravent metered dose inhaler than nebulization.

4. He will require further evaluation as he's underweight if his birthweight had been normal.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee