Suggest treatment for weakness of muscles in the hands and feet

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Lupus
Question: The last month both my hands (wrist, knuckles and finger joints) are very sore and feel weak. I dread it when some tries to shake my hand, it feels like their breaking my bones. My feet and ankles also feel sore and like i'm wearing boots. ???
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to rheumatoid arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. However, I would need you to answer the following questions:
* Did you have any episode of fever or feverishness? Viral infections could be associated with similar presentations.
* Is it restricted only to small joints or are larger joints also invovled? Rheumatoid arthritis can lead to involvement of small joints.
* Is there morning stiffness associated? The pain and soreness in rheumatoid arthritis is usually more in the mornings.
* Have any blood investigations been done? Certain immune markers are likely to be raised in rheumatoid arthritis.

I suspect that rheumatoid arthritis could be the underlying condition. However, you should visit a doctor who could examine and investigate suitably and treat accordingly.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 51 minutes later
Follow-up on your questions;
*Did you have any episode of fever or feverishness? Viral infections could be associated with similar presentations;
No fever, though since the onset of these symptoms I have had ringing in my ears and I my head feels stuffed up like I have a head cold, but I don't.

* Is it restricted only to small joints or are larger joints also involved?
No, involves small finger joints all the way to the wrist.

* Is there morning stiffness associated? There is actually less soreness in the morning, the pain worsens as the day progresses.

* Have any blood investigations been done?
No. I have not seen a doctor as yet.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarifications. I think that you should see a doctor and get yourself evaluated thoroughly. The condition requires medical attention and should not be ignored. A step by step investigation will help in diagnosis of the exact ailment. Treatment will depend upon the underlying condition which needs to be diagnosed.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back in case you have any further queries.