• question-icon

Suggest treatment for weakness in the legs

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband's legs have been getting weaker and weaker. The muscles in the top of his legs hurt when he walks. Should he see a neurologist or an orthopedic doctor? He gets short of breath and is exhausted.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation of leg pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Muscle pain that worsens during walking could be due to decreased blood supply to the legs(Peripheral vascular disease), spinal steonosis or statin induced myositis.
Thorough physical examination, MRI spine, Xray of hip and knee, Doppler studies to assess blood flow and creatine kinase levels to rule out statin I diced myositis are recommended at this point.
Since he is also experiencing shortness of breath an EKG is also required to rule out coronary artery disease.

You can follow up with your primary care provider or orthopedician to undergo necessary investigations.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal