• question-icon

Suggest treatment for weakness in the legs and asthma

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am a 76 year old female who experiences leg weakness after a short walk(one block.) If I stop and rest I can go another short block. My doctor had me do a breathing test today, use a nebulizer, and test again with much better results. He said I have asthma. Could that be? I don't have traditional asthma symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload these results for review?

Detailed Answer:

Leg weakness after walking short distances is not typical of asthma. Asthma would rather present with breathing difficulties. Unless you have breathing difficulties, I will not concur with asthma diagnosis. Kindly upload the results from your visit as well as the report for further review and guidance.

Weakness after walking is often caused by insufficient blood flow or nerves problem. This is often referred to as intermittent claudication. Do you have any other disease condition such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc? Kindly report them to me.

I hope to hear from you for continuation. I hope this initial information guides and helps.

Waiting...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 hours later
I'm sorry it took so long for me to answer. Your answer was in my Spam folder and I did not think to look there until now.

I do have very mild Type 2 Diabetes and hypertension (which has been controlled for many years with medication) and I do take a cholesterol pill also.

The diagnosis of asthma has me baffled also because I do not have any breathing difficulties. My doctor now has me on one treatment of BREO Ellipta each day until next Monday when I will see him again. He has been my doctor for a number of years but I am now doubting him. Thank you for replying to me.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Has this drug made a difference?

Detailed Answer:

Doubting your doctor is okay but he cannot be judged on a single condition which is still being evaluated. I will suggest that you look at your care over all the years and judge him by that as opposed to hanging on one single aspect. No one is perfect in medicine.

I will like to know if the BREO has had any impact on your symptoms. This will be a therapeutic trial and will help in establishing the diagnosis as well. If it helps, then there is a good chance that the diagnosis stands and if not, that raises concern as well.

Keep me updated about this. I wish you well and always available to address any concerns that you may have.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Chobufo Ditah