• question-icon

Suggest treatment for weakness in the left arm

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having trouble lifting my left arm above shoulder height. There is no pain. It is just weak. My shoulder just seems to not been able to raise above shoulder height. It feels as if something is holding my arm down when I try to raise it.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need a physical evaluation to determine which muscles are weak and why.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

You may have a problem with a nerve or blood vessel which is not supplying with enough blood the muscles which might be making them weak.
In order to confirm what I said above you need a physical exam to an orthopedist who can examine and determine which muscle is weak and advise specific exercises who can strengthen the muscles.
Also, they need to treat the cause that is leading to this weak muscles.

For now, until you make this possible, you it is important that you keep moving as soon as possible your arm. Continue with the exercises you are doing, 2-3 times per day with 10-15 repetitions in active (by trying to move yourself the arm) and passive (by lifting the arm by other things that help) movements.
I would advise you those exercises but since I don't know which muscles are involved I could do more damage. So seeing a local doctor is very very important.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako