Suggest treatment for weakness, diarrhea and viral fever

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
My father aged 75 caught viral fever and cough. Had loose motion which is controlled and taking electral powder. Feeling weekness. Any medicine safe for diabetic , pls prescribe asap.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue hydration with electral powder.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
The weakness your father is feeling is more due to dehydration. If it improves, he will improve. As he would have lost electrolytes too, additional pinch of salt and sugar might be required.
He is taking electral for it and it should help.
Once he becomes hydrated, he will become energetic. Continue with hydration and avoid any excess sugar intake. Excess sugar intake through supplements to treat weakness is common during diarrhea and is known to cause complications.

Check for blood glucose level, if its low, improvement might be necessary.

In diarrhea, hydration is very important. Most medicinal supplements are with sugar. Unless his sugar is low, you need not start anything else and continue with good amount of fluids.

You can add probiotics including curds to improve good bacteria in gut.

Keep checking for blood glucose level daily once to avoid hypo or hyperglycemia.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM