Suggest treatment for weakened muscles of rectum and anal sphincters

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: When I was 30 I went thru a very painful divorce. I had to be on strong antidepressants for months to get through a college course I was taking. Back then, antidepressants were extremely constipating! I would go up to 7 days without being able to have a BM. I'm sure this must have weakened my rectal muscles, and now I'm 58 and am oozing stool without being aware of it until I use the bathroom, then I'm mortified to see around a tablespoon amount in my underwear! It's happening all the time now! What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
proctologist to consult , following advice

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the sad experience you went through at age of 30. I am also sorry for the fastidious health problems you are going through currently.

Most probable the muscles of rectum and anal sphincter might have become weaken due to straining and constipation you suffered previously.

You need further evaluation by proctologist to evaluate the status of anal sphincter and associated rectal muscles.

Digital examination together with anoscopy and manometry are advised as next diagnostic tests.

Based on the results, it will be decided the best treatment strategy.

For the moment, I advise to :
- avoid constipation
- go to toilet each time you feel the need
- keep good local hygiene
- Kegels exercise can help strengthen the muscles of pelvic floor

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 minutes later
Thanks so much, that was helpful
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

You're most welcome!

If no more query, please do not forget to close this discussion.

All the best!
Dr.Albana