Suggest treatment for weak sphincter muscle

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: problem: weak spinter muscle. what can be done? surgery or what. have had colonoscopy discovered the weak muscle.i am 78 yrs young and am most unhappy with this. I now take 4 welcol.....per day. helps some sometimes...can u help me. thank you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX,
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on severity of weakness.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear XXXXXXX

I am sorry for the problems your are facing with weak anal sphincter.

Further consultation with proctologist is needed to determine about the surgery. It depends on the severity of the weakness before deciding for surgery.

Kege's exercise together with diet changes will help improve the symptoms and reinforce the weakened muscles.

Welcol is a cholesterol lowering drug that binds the bile salts in the intestines and more cholesterol is converted in bile salts, leading to lower blood cholesterol. This drug can stimulate bowel movements.

Once again, there are various surgical interventions depending on severity of weakened muscle. Please provide the colonoscopy or other tests reports for a more specific judgement.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T