question-icon

Suggest treatment for warts on penis

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015
Question: I just noticed a cluster of warts on my penis. I had sex last week wednesday and used a condom. what could this be? is it an STI?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
I have reviewed your photograph and yes you are having genital warts.
It is a sexually transmitted infection. There are chances that your partner has been infected with warts and you contracted the infection from her.
You need to consult a dermatologist and get them removed by cauterisation either chemical or electric.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (2 hours later)
My wife was already diagnosed with herpes, is there any chance that this might be an herpese infection instead of genital warts. additionally, once I have had the warts treated can I still pass on the infection to my pregnant wife?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Solid lesions favour warts while fluid filled blisters favour herpes

Detailed Answer:
Are these lesions solid or fluid filled blisters? They seem to be solid. Once the warts are completely treated then there will be minimal chances of you passing of the infection to your wife.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (37 minutes later)
The blisters appear fluid filled. Also, everything I read online suggest that warts usually don't appear a few days after contact, instead the average is 2-3 months after contact. Will a blood test tell definitively what type of infection herpes or genital warts?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Go for ELISA test for Herpes virus infection

Detailed Answer:
If the lesions are fluid filled then there is high possibility of it being herpesvirus infection. To confirm the diagnosis you can undergo a blood test: Ig G and Ig M for herpes virus 1 and herpes virus 2. This will confirm your infection.
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist