Suggest treatment for vomiting, diarrhea and heartburn

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, I already have an appointment with my doctor next week. He sent me for several tests: blood, urine, stool and ultrasound complete of my abdomen. He thinks it's gallbladder stones but the ultrasound lady didn't see any stones at all. My symptoms are: dull pain on my right side of my abdomen, sometimes toward the right side lower back, ( this pain is happening for a while) but for the past few weeks it's not only that but a movement feeling, a poking, a pressure all around my belly bottom, like I have something moving inside of me and sometimes comes with heartburn . I went for vacation to Israel last July, the day after I got really sick with violent vomiting and diarrhea for several days until it stopped. After a week or so I started with those symptoms of something moving or poking or pressure or heaviness
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastrointestinal infection seems to be the main problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you have traveled abroad and have had gastrointestinal infection with vomiting and diarrhea, most probable reason of your symptoms is kind of chronic intestinal infection. You simply brought some bacteria from Israel inside your intestines. This bacteria are different than your regular intestinal bacteria.
Before any other diagnostic, I suggest you to try Rifaximine treatment along with probiotic intake. This should restore your good intestinal bacteria and should set you free from the symptoms.

It is possible that you have also kidney infection (very often diarrhea causes such infection due to dehydration). If so, there should be some finding in the urine analysis. But this is a coexisting issue.

Hope this helps.
Regards.