• question-icon

Suggest treatment for vomiting and loose motions in an infant

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Child Health
Question: The child is an infant (Male) and he is 12 months old.

Symptoms:
1. The child is having vomiting for 2 days, whitish color vomit.
2. Passed loose motion yesterday and light yellow color stool, no motion post yesterday night so far.
3. The child is teething

Other details:
1. The urine is normal, no fever, sleeping fine.
2. Allergy: None observed
3. Medicine given: None
4. Activities: Normal today but showing weakness as not taking food and vomiting what he is eating.(Vomited 4 times yesterday)
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhea - suggested actions

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

During teething - to sooth the teething sensation the kids keep everything they find in mouth and this is the reason for this sort of diarrhea, rather than teething per se.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology