Suggest treatment for vomiting and loose motion in child

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, My 1year baby have vomtings and loose motions. Today we went to doctor. They gave one medicine. But still motions are not controlled. How much time it will take. What type of food has to give my baby. please let me know
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral diarrhoea.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Loose motions are usually as a result of viral infection at this age.

I suggest you to use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (2.5ml thrice a day, half an hour before feeding) or as already suggested by your paediatrician.

Continue breast feeding and no need to give any other food.

Ensure your baby passes urine at least 6 to 8 times in a day.

Loose stools may take even one week to settle as there is no anti viral treatment available.

If baby becomes dull, with low urine output,seek immediate medical attention.

Otherwise you can safely continue treatment as per your doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sandip Kabra