question-icon

Suggest treatment for vomiting and food poisoning

default
Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016
Question: MY YEAR OLD WESTIE ATE SOMETHING SPOILED -- DIDN'T GET TO HIM IN TIME TO SEE WHAT IT WAS -- BUT PRETTY SURE IT WAS SOMETHING LEFT OVER FROM A BACKYARD BBQ. HE STARTED THROWING UP A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER. IT'S BEEN 24 HRS -- HE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT FINE. DRANK SOME WATER THIS MORNING AND HAD A BITE OF FOOD AND THREW UP. DOES THIS JUST RUN ITS COURSE OR DO I NEED TO GET HIM TO THE VET?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Let it run its course!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully and it sounds more of food intolerance or intoxication. Either condition doesn't require further treatment with antibiotics. As the ingested foods gets out of the system, all will soon get better. There is no need for further specialised care by a vet.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and details if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah (8 minutes later)
Thank you so much. he does seem to have a sensitive stomach. i've pulled him off all food with grain and have already had to switch to a different brand of grain free. he's not eating at all right now, but he is drinking watr. What should I give him to try to eat?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Try Ranitidine for the sensitive stomach!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this precision.

If there is a possible sensitive stomach, I will suggest that you give him ranitidine. This will help relief the sensitivity and allow the dog to eat better.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah (19 hours later)
my westie has not thrown up in over 24 hours now and is drinking water, but not eating. tried steamed rice with boiled chicken/chicken broth -- and a few other things he usually loves. he is pretty lethargic. will he begin eating when he feels like it or should I take him to the vet? I've been force feeding him teaspoon of plain yogurt -- 1-2x day.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I will suggest that you take him to the veteran!

Detailed Answer:
Hi,

While am more optimistic at this point about his recovery, it is taking a little longer than I would have imagine. I will simply like to be safe than sorry and see a vet as his eating hasn't really been back to great. I will like to stay updated with the vets response and recommendations.

Sincerely,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah (2 days later)
took him to the vet -- blood work came back normal. decided to wait on any xrays as I'm sure he only ate a couple of bites of something soft. he started eating the next day, and I got some sleep as I wasn't up all night stressing about him. Thank you so much for your input.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (29 hours later)
Brief Answer:
YOu are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the updates.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6323 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for vomiting and food poisoning

Brief Answer: Let it run its course! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I have reviewed this information fully and it sounds more of food intolerance or intoxication. Either condition doesn't require further treatment with antibiotics. As the ingested foods gets out of the system, all will soon get better. There is no need for further specialised care by a vet. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and details if need be.