Owl Image

Suggest treatment for vomiting after having double dose of Augmentin

Owl Image
Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Question
Doctor my 2 yrs 9 month baby boy with weight of 9.2 kg hasbeen suffering from cough and cold for last 1 week. now he has been administered Augmentin DDS 2.5 ml twice daily. Today morning he has suddenly consumed nearly 5ml directly from the container. Nearly after 30 min he had vomitted a little amount of mucus along with which a little amount of the medicine was found. We are tensed about the adverse effect of it. Can u please suggest what can be done or in adverse situation what may happen?
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry at present.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic.
I can understand your concerns.

Your son has taken double the recommended dose for his weight. It may cause gastric upset and diarrhea but no other major complications. There is nothing to worry at present. Just wait and watch.
Skip today night's dose and give regular doses from tomorrow.

Give probiotics like sporolac sachets or enterogermina three times a day for 5 days, if he develops diarrhea.

I hope I have helped you.
If you have any further query please feel free to ask
Thank you
Dr. Meera kotecha