Suggest treatment for voice lose

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband seems to be losing his voice. He is 55 years old, in good health with a recent physical (within the past 2 months.) I have noticed when he is at home, his voice drops and is very gravelly almost scraping low. When I mention it to him, he raises his tonality. I have read about this and found something called "tired voice: could this be what is going on ? Should I take him to an ENT for an evaluation ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examination by the ENT Specialist is a must...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I'll try my best to help you with this query.

Tiring of voice or hoarseness could be due to various reasons. The commonest being Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux. Other causes include vocal cord edema secondary to voice abuse, growth over the vocal cords, Laryngo-pharyngitis, etc.

It would be better, if you can consult a good ENT specialist. A thorough history and the examination of larynx is required to make appropriate diagnosis.

Meanwhile, he should give voice rest, drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation and avoid smoking. Also, he should avoid consumption of chilled food and beverages, coffee and tea for few days.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj