Suggest treatment for vitiligo

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi ,
I need your suggestion on my wife's vitiligo disease. It was not there from beginning but it suddenly started when she was 19yr old. the small white first appeared on her left feet
and then it suddenly started on her face body and many place. we have consulted many doctor allopath, homeopath, Ayurveda and many more but is it not stopping where as spreading a lot. She is very much depressed due to this. and we are unable to found any solution. Also many of my fried suggested that do not consult Allopath because they will give steroids unnecessarily and it will cause many other problems.
Sir please suggest on this as well.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider going for phototherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I can understand your concern but vitiligo is a disease with unpredictable course and prognosis.
Various treatments are available for it but their efficacy varies from patient to patient.
Phototherapy consisting of UVB therapy or UVA therapy has been found to be effective in many patients of vitiligo.
You can consider going for it at some dermatology clinic.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 37 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.
Please let me know how risky is the phototherapy and also let me know if the steroids also need to take and what is the risk of it as well.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of phototherapy

Detailed Answer:
Phototherapy doesn't have many side effects.
UVB phototherapy can be associated with itching, redness and blistering in some patients but it is rare occurrence.
PUVA or UVA phototherapy is also well tolerated apart from nausea, itching, erythema and blistering reactions in some patients.
Steroids are required if vitiligo is progressive and not responding to other treatments.
Oral steroids if taken under supervision of the doctor won't cause much side effects apart from weight gain, gastritis and osteoporosis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj