Suggest treatment for vitiligo

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Vitiligo - i have vitiligo since 1.5yrs. Which is spread on left and right handa fingers ( thumb and index finger ) i tried lot of ayurvedic treatment. Now since a month am taking betnesol forte on friday and saturday 2 tabs each of 1mg.. plus morning everyday apply tacrotor cream. And melgain at night.. pls suggest am i heading towards the right medication or some changes i need to do pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The treatment given is best and most specific.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the vitiligo in yourself and a part of guidance for the treatment you are taking.

After analyzing the complete query along with the pictures let me reassure you first that you are taking the best and the most specific treatment for your condition. Your treating doctor has given you to the point and best treatment.

In vitiligo it is due to the less activity of the color producing cells that one can get the white spots. These cells also produces less or no color because of the formation of antibodies against the color producing cells.

The basic part of treatment is to lower down and abolish the activity of the antibodies and regain color.

Betenesol forte contains betamethasone in it which reduces the activity of antibodies so that the further progression is stopped. Tacrolimus ointment also does the same action on application to the white spots. The melgain lotion increases the activity of the color producing cells.

So cumulatively there is regain of color. The areas affected are actually slow to respond so takes a long period of multipe months before showing good effect. So have patience and trust in your treating doctor.

I hope this information will help you in dealing the conditon better.

My best wishes for your early recovery.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD- Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 26 minutes later
Thank u doctor. Pls suggest on dosage of the tablet (mg) per weekm
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The dosage is most appropriate. Do take the same.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for posting your further follow up.

The dose you have been given is appropriate for the present condition. It is known as pulse therapy of dose. It has got minimum side effects. I also prefer almost the same type of dosage.

There could be variation in the dosage as per the improvement in the condition. Sometimes the white spots increases despite this particular dose. At that time there could be increased in the dose.

When there is no increase in the activity of the white spots then I prefer to reduce the dose in 8 to 12 weeks period.

I again reassure you that you are taking the best possible treatment. So relax and follow the same.

My best wishes for your good health.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Thank u doctor... god bless u
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
My best wishes for your earliest recovery from the problem.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

My best wishes for your earliest recovery from the problem. Thanks a lot for using our forum.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad