Suggest treatment for vitamin D deficiency

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi there,

I got my blood tests back and I have low vitamin D (34). Is that very low? I try to eat food that has vitamin D and take vitamin D2 supplements. Not sure why its still low? Any advice on foods and supplements?
We don't have lots of sun in winter, but its coming back slowly.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can I get this report?

Detailed Answer:

We just exchanged on the other findings of subclinical hypothyroidism. Can you upload your report fro review? When values are not closely examined, we may miss out on so much. This is even concerning because you seem to take supplements and therefore we should not be having low levels for you.

I hope you will be able to upload to me for further appreciation. To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 days later
Hi doctor,

Thanks again :). it took me a while to get a hold of a copy of my results, I uploaded them.

Thanks again
Kind Regards,
XXXX

and just a correction, the supplements I take are D3 not D2.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
HOw much supplements are you taking daily?

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your results and this is at 34. This is lower than the recommended value. I will like to know how much D3 you take daily. Also, exposing yourself to sun is very important as that is how VitD is primarily produced in the body. Also endeavor to expose yourself under direct sunlight daily as much as possible.

Bottom line is that we may need to increase how much you are taking. However, there is increasing questioning about what the level of VitD should actually be in the body.

I wish you well and hope to hear from you at your convenience.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for checking my report and your reply.

I am taking one pill of vitamin d3 20µg (the brand is Nycoplus). I also drink 2 glasses of smoothie that contains blueberry 4-5 times/week. I have salmon 1-2/week. I also have smoked salmon around twice a week.

Do you think maybe I should change the pills to water soluble capsules? Should I continue with vitamin d3 or switch to d2?
About the sun, up here in winter the sun does not rise above the horizon. The sun is back now, so I will take advantage of that and be out in the sun.

Thanks a lot for your assistance, It is highly appreciated.

Have a good day/eve

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stay on Vit D3

Detailed Answer:

VitD3 is the recommended form to take. I will say continue on this with he additional sun exposure and we will control this in 3months. This is because this the timing might have played to your disadvantage as it is winter with little sun exposure.

VitD is fat soluble and therefore a water soluble preparation is probably unlikely to find easily. Check whether those foods are actually fortified with VitD as this is really not common in food stuffs.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.