• question-icon

Suggest treatment for vision loss in eye and migraine headache

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Had some 'floaties' in rt eye that normally precede a mild migraine. This time there was a slight pain and I lost all vision in the right eye. Background was diffused light with a small window of vision in the center much like looking through a camera lens backward. In about 10 minutes the diffused light cleared beginning from top to bottom. No persistent effects remain and vision is normal. Could this have been one of those 'floaties' in the aqueas humor that blocked a portion of the retina and then receded or floated away?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probable ocular migraine, to exclude TIA

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

This symptom doesn't look to be a case of floaters, floaters do not cause complete loss of vision. Such transitory loss of vision, otherwise called amaurosis fugax, is usually due to other causes such as ocular migraine, an emboli to the retinal artery or a transient ischemic attack (TIA).

I would say an ocular migraine is perhaps more compatible with the described episode, it would also be the best scenario. However TIA events should be taken seriously as they may be heralds of a future stroke. So to be safe I would suggest an evaluation from an ophthalmologist and even if that results normal an ultrasound exam of the carotid arteries, because TIAs are usually due to atherosclerotic plaques in the carotid artery.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist