Suggest treatment for vision loss due to Combutol

Ophthalmologist
Question

In 2006, my father was prescribed Combutol for his TB condition, among other meds. But, due to that, his optic nerves were affected and he has lost almost 80-85% of his eyesight. I wanted to know if there is any medicine, surgery that can help him get his eyesight back.

Thanks.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no treatment to reverse the damage.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that your father was treated for tuberculosis by Combutol.
Combutol is Ethambutol and it is known to cause side effect in the form of toxic optic neuropathy or toxic optic neuritis.
I can understand your concern but there is no definitive curative treatment for this condition. Further progression can be stopped by stopping the offending drug. In this case I think he would have stopped the drug.

The main treatment is by use of B complex multivitamins to prevent further progression of the loss of vision. But the visual recovery is unlikely.

But with treatment further progression of loss of vision will not occur.
Along with the use of vitamins he need to avoid toxic agents which can damage the optic nerve like use of tobacco or alcohol in any form if he is using them.
He needs to undergo evaluation by ophthalmologist by tests like visual fields to assess the severity of involvement of the optic nerve.

Hence to conclude there is no treatment to reverse the optic nerve damage but further progression can be prevented.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards