Suggest treatment for viral warts on cheek

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have facing issue with viral warts for last one year now. It surfaced almost of an year ago with one of the warts at left corner below cheek. For the last 4 months I see these warts appearing at 3-4 more areas i.e. in all I have 5 warts all on my face distributed all over.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get your warts cauterised

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Firstly I need to see your lesions to confirm whether you have viral warts or not.
Please upload a pic of your affected area. You may do so by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page.

If these are warts, the best treatment would be to get these removed by electrocautery or Rf cautery. It is a very simple procedure. We just numb the affected area either by injection or by applying a cream based local anaesthetic. Once the area is numb, wart is burnt.No marks/scars or pigmentation remains after five or six days of cautery. You may resume your office and daily activities on same day. Let me tell you it is the most effective treatment for wart( cost wise as well as therapeutically too). Also if warts are left for long these might spread to other areas too as these are contagious. Shaving leads to spread of warts.

Hope this helped.
Should there be a doubt,write back.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Hello Dr Kalpana,
As advised, i have attached 3 different images and circled the warts in each image.Apart from 5 warts on the face, missed to highlight earlier that i have two more warts one on left eye lid (almost 9 months now) and other on head. Please confirm if these are warts only?

It all started 9-10 months back, with first wart on my left eye lid which continued to grow in size over a period of time, followed with other on my left chin which has also been there for more than 6 months now.

Given the fact that i have to shave daily, as rightly pointed by you, most of the time i end up nailing someone or other and come across bleeding once cut is made almost every alternate day.Infact i have seen these warts multiplying heavily all over my face for the last 3-4 months and scaling to 4-5 in additional numbers, as evident in attached images too.

Please advice how do i get them treated. Also, please help me with procedure of electrocatuery as indicated by you. In my case how effective this procedure will be? how long will it take for treatment? i learnt from internet that this procedure may require need for anesthesia - please advice how it will be treated in my case?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
these are viral warts

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
These are indeed viral warts and require immediate intervention.
You should get these lesions cauterised soon otherwise these will keep on spreading.
Prior to cautery we make the area numb by applying a topical anaesthetic cream. Usually after an hour, the area is completely numb and then we burn it by electrocautery machine. Bigger lesions need to be anesthetised by local anesthetic injection. We use a very fine syringe to inject the anesthetic and after few minutes remove the same.
Electrocautery is 100 percent effective. It would hardly take 15 minutes to an hour depending upon the type of anesthetic used.
You may consult any dermatologist for same. If residing in XXXXXXX NCR you may visit me.

Hope this helped
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later
Thanks for the confirmation. Could you please also suggest on total cost (ball park figure) i might have to incur for this treatment. Also, could you please help with your contact details and clinic address. I'm residing in XXXXXXX presently.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
apologies for delayed response.
Its difficult to comment upon the cost of therapy as it may vary from clinic to clinic. Electrocautery is quite a cost effective procedure. Usually clinics charge 250 to 1000 per lesion depending upon the size of lesion. If the lesions are extensive or innumerable then obviously doctors quote a round figure as per their practice.
You can have my address and details from my profile info which is on this health portal.