question-icon

Suggest treatment for viral infection along with cough and white mucus secretion in the eyes of a 10- month old baby

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018
Question: Hi doc,
my 10 month old baby is having viral fever since Thursday. The temp is all normal, but he has running nose & cough. He had white mucucs coming from eyes also once he wakes up in the morning.We took him to ped who gave mucolite drops, sinarest AF & eye drops for 3 times a day. the white thingy coming from eye has reduced is almost nil now. But the mucus is yellowish white now. Should we wait or start antibiotics. The cough has not improved. I myself had viral fever & is still recovering. I took antibiotics(augmentin).
Answered by Dr. Arun (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No need if there is no fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing again.
Based on the description you have given it looks like viral infection only which may last few days more too.
If there is no fever I personally don't think there is any need for antibiotics.
You can continue the same medicines for a day or two more.
The secretions will come down gradually.
Cough will take even a week to settle even if the infection is gone.
Hope I have answered your query.
Take care,
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology