Suggest treatment for viral fever

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: 35 year old female, 170lbs, had a fever of 40 degrees F and was unable to move walk. I took 2 advils and drank cool water to help calm my fever, this morning, i was ok. why is this happening?

Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation but provide more information first.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

This fever could be viral origin or may be due to some other cause but it should be further investigated with appropriate investigations.

Also,let me know some more information,

Do you have any other symptom apart from fever?
Any history of past disease?
Any tests done recently or in past when you had high grade fever?

Usually,viral fever gets resolved with symptomatic treatment like advil and other precautions.

Without tests and complete medical history it is difficult to tell the underlying cause of fever,so get back to me with these answers.

I will give my opinion after that.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 36 minutes later
: lower back pain but I'm doing physio to help with that, good drop, body imbalance due to weak quads and lower back (according to physio); body chills and soar throat (today only)

Any history of past disease?
in early 2005, i was diagnosed with clinical isolated situation because of food drop and lose of bladder/bowel control. I had tests for Multiple sclerosis and cleared.

No.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for routine blood works with differential counts

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing more information.

Since your fever is associated with body chills,sore throat I would suggest you to go for some routine blood works with differential counts.
Strep test would also be helpful to rule out bacterial infection.

Also,it is very unlikely that your recurrent fever could be due to some underlying disease.So,I would advise you not to worry about it much.

This kind of recurrent fever (4 times in last 2 year) could be due to some appearance of new infection or due to low immunity.But it is unlikely due to some underlying disease.

Continue with advil and drink plenty of water.
Take complete bed rest and have light food for couple of days.

I think you will be alright after that.

Dr.Sandip kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar