• question-icon

Suggest treatment for viral fever in a child

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Question is for my 1yr 9 months daughter with weight 11.5kg. She is having fever since yesterday (11th June).We have given her T98 paracetamol drops as per following schedule
14.30 - 2 ml
18.45 - 2 ml
23.45 - 2 ml
4.00 morning- 2 ml
now its 8.30 am
The problem is that her fever is not going down to normal range butia around 100-102 before medicine and 99-100 after medicine. Should we change the medicine.
for info: My wife is having viral fever since last 4 days and I am having mild throat infection
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - don't change the medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. By what you say this looks like a viral illness only. More over when two other family members are having viral illness this is all the more probable.

I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you will be more confident.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

T-98 drops contains Paracetamol in the strength of 100 mg per ml. You can give 1.7 to 1.8 ml per day. That will be enough. No need to change the medicine.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 20 minutes later
Thanks a lot.
1. is it ok if the fever doesnt comes down even after an hour of giving medicine.
2. hope we have given dosage more than the safe limit if any
3. at what range of fever should we sponge her head with cold cloth etc
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on cold sponging and Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hi... greetings from XXXXXXX

1. Do not worry even if the fever doesn't come down within 1 hour. The usual gap between each dose of Paracetamol is 4 hours. So it might take at least 2 hours​ sometime for the fever to come down.

2. You have not given any excessive over dosage of paracetamol upto toxic level, do not worry about it.

3. Cold sponging for fever is an old concept. Recent concept is that even if cold sponging is done there will be only temporary regression of fever and there might be rebound higher temperature rise due to shivering while during cold sponging. So do not do cold sponging please.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology