• question-icon

Suggest treatment for viral bronchitis along with difficulty in breathing

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have had a virus infection (upper respiratory) for over two weeks. X-rays -- a week ago - showed no signs of pneumonia. Diagonosis was viral bronchitis. However I still have phlegm and coughing and difficulty breathing out - breathing in seems to be okay - should I be concerned? Thank you for your advice
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of Acute viral bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Symptoms of Acute viral bronchitis can last up to 10-12 days. However, the cough can be persistent for few more weeks.
Currently you can take mucolytic agents like Guafensin(Mucinex) to loosen the mucus and help clear the chest.
Use a humidifier to help open up your airway.
If the breathing difficulty/wheezing is bothersome, please be advised to contact your primary to get started on salbutamol inhaler.
Avoid smoking, if you do so

If you notice worsening symptoms, fever or chest congestion and wheezing not subsiding after 3-4 days please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider to rule out possible pneumonia.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal