Suggest treatment for vertigo

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: wife is in Spain and feels she has vertigo. has to keep head perfectly still. cant walk across room without feeling nausea/dizzy.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be BPPV, can try EPLEY maneuver, dramamine or antivert

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vertigo is most commonly related to conditions of the inner ear, though there are other causes as well.

The common inner ear diseases are: (1) meniere disease- there is normally associated hearing loss and ringing or other abnormal sounds in the ear with this condition

Episodes last a few mins to hours

(2)vestibular neurontitis- would have persistent vertigo for hours on end. Usually have a history of recent viral infection

(3) BPPV- this is the most likely cause for her, if it is an inner ear condition
It varies with position

It is treated by performing a maneuver called the EPLEYs maneuver where the person has to do a series of moves to help improve the inner ear cause.
The exact moves and images would be available online. She can try to see if it helps though unfortunately can sometimes take a few days

Medications such as dramamine , antivert can be used temporarily to help reduce the symptoms.
These should be over the counter anywhere.
Diazepam/valium is also used for vertigo but this would require a prescription

As mentioned earlier, vertigo is most commonly due to inner ear disease but there are other causes such as migraines.
Rarely due to masses, bleed etc

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James