Suggest treatment for vertigo
helps very little. Am worried.
inner ear causes are the most common causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is understandable to be concerned but it is not unusual for vertigo to last for this period of time or longer.
Though there are rare serious causes, vertigo is most commonly due to inner ear conditions such as : (a) BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- in this case, the vertigo is worse with certain positions and tends to last for a few seconds to minutes only
(b)meniere's disease- lasts for a few minutes, associated with hearing loss and abnormal sounds in the ear such as ringing/buzzing etc (tinnitus)
(c)vestibular neuronitis- lasts for hours at a time
Your doctor can distinguish if it is one of these by physical examination.
The use of anti histamines such as meclizine or similar medication is normal.
If it is BPPV, then the epley maneuver at home would help. The epley can be viewed on line.
Imaging may be needed in some cases if it lasts for a few weeks. This would be a CT scan.
More serious cause would be a lesion in the lower aspect of the brain, but this would be very rare
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe vertigo
- Suggest treatment for sudden hearing loss coupled with vertigo
- Suggest possible treatment for vertigo
- Treatment for vertigo in humans
- Treatment of cervical vertigo
- Suggest treatment for vertigo inspite of using medicines
- Diagnosed with vertigo worsened balance nausea suggestive treatment
- Suggest treatment for vertigo and pain in kidney
- Suggest treatment for vertigo with headaches and dizziness
- Suggest treatment for dizziness and vertigo