question-icon

Suggest treatment for vertigo

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: I have had vertigo for 3 days and bit has not lessened or gone away. Was given meclizine
helps very little. Am worried.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
inner ear causes are the most common causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned but it is not unusual for vertigo to last for this period of time or longer.

Though there are rare serious causes, vertigo is most commonly due to inner ear conditions such as : (a) BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- in this case, the vertigo is worse with certain positions and tends to last for a few seconds to minutes only

(b)meniere's disease- lasts for a few minutes, associated with hearing loss and abnormal sounds in the ear such as ringing/buzzing etc (tinnitus)

(c)vestibular neuronitis- lasts for hours at a time

Your doctor can distinguish if it is one of these by physical examination.

The use of anti histamines such as meclizine or similar medication is normal.

If it is BPPV, then the epley maneuver at home would help. The epley can be viewed on line.
Imaging may be needed in some cases if it lasts for a few weeks. This would be a CT scan.

More serious cause would be a lesion in the lower aspect of the brain, but this would be very rare

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James