Suggest treatment for vertigo

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Having trouble with vertigo past month. been to doc. therapy motion pills
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I am sorry about the issue you are experiencing.

Vertigo can have different origins, most commonly it is related to inner ear or nervous system issues. Since you do not provide much detail about onset, triggering factors, other symptoms or what the diagnosis of your doctor is I must assume he diagnosed you with inner ear issues which cause typically vertigo which is triggered or exacerbated by change of head position.

There are several types of medications available. Again it is hard to know what to recommend since you do not mention exactly what was given to you. Some of the most commonly used options are betahistine, meclizine, dimenhydrinate, meclizine, cinnarizine so if what you are taking is not working a switch to the other options may be attempted, or a combination of two drugs.
However no treatment provides guarantees, while they attempt to alleviate symptoms they can't eliminate the cause and unfortunately symptoms may persist for several weeks or months. If the cause is believed to be BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), cause by presence of some moving chrystals in the inner ear there are some manouvers (sequences of head movement) which can eliminate these chrystals. However that has to be confirmed to be the cause first and performed by an experienced physician, preferably an ENT specialist. It is of no effect if the cause is some other ear impairment such as vestibular neuronitis only time can address that.

If your doctor on the other hand was unsure of the cause, perhaps it would be wise to consult again and discuss the possibility of brain imaging with MRI to exclude brain related causes of vertigo such as tumor, stroke etc.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.