Suggest treatment for vertigo that lasts a week

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a vertigo problem which appears randomly and lasts for week-10 days.

I typically get these spins only while sleeping ( when lying in on any one side) and they disappear immediately if I change to straight lying on bed.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

After reading your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It is the most common cause of vertigo .

In this condition , vertigo elicited by certain critical provocative head positions due to free-moving densities in vestibular system of ear ( it maintain balance in Body).

Treatment options available for this condition are
1) watchful waiting - It can resolve without treatment in weeks to months .
2) vestibulosuppressant medication- Continue vertin 8mg thrice daily
3) vestibular rehabilitation - like neck relaxation exercise
4) canalith (free-moving densities) repositioning - it is done with Epley maneuver . You need to consult ENT specialist for this maneuver who has vertigo clinic .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist