Suggest treatment for vertigo, pain and stiffness in body

Posted on Mon, 1 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi! I sustained a concussion about a month ago due to a whiplash injury in a motor vehicle accident and neck injury. Ive felt off balance, vertigo, dizzy, pain and stiffness as well as headaches. Ive been recovering nicely through therapy. Yesterday i had an incident that caused me a little anxiety and i am not sure if this incident can cause a concussion too. I was in the passenger seat of a car and leaning forward to push the passenger seat up- it came up pretty fast and hit my arm and lower back. It didnt hit my head but the force bothereed me and made me stiffen up. I know this is a normal routine thing for people that sit in front seats of cars that want to adjust there seats, however i am so sensitive that i wanted to ensure- this wouldnt cause an injury. I still feel stiff but it could be from doing more therapy as well. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be fine.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern which i justified since coming off a recent concussions can render one more vulnerable to damage from trauma in the following first weeks.

However in this case you state not to have hit your head and it was a hit from a car seat which has some cushioning covering it. Also the force of impact as abrupt as it might have seemed to you caught by XXXXXXX still can't have the same impact as say a motor vehicle accident or a fall for example.

As for the stiffening it may be partially due to the stress and fear increasing muscle tension temporarily apart from the therapy.

So in conclusions I do not think you should worry much about it, you should be fine.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 8 minutes later
This makes alot of sense and thank you for explaining it so thoughfully and for being thorough. So there is absolutely no way this can possibly cause a concussion correct? I called my doctor and told him what happened and he said there is no way and it is good for me to be exposed to everyday life experiences. This would not do anything except maybe if my arm was out bother my arm a little but the force isnt made to cause concussions. Do you agree?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I agree with your doctor. It certainly can't cause a concussion, don't think it will do much harm to the arm either.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist