Suggest treatment for vertigo and tinnitus

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello,
I am a 75 year old female who has vertigo in the past,, but no recurrence in over 5 years. I had MRI, CT SCANS DOPPLER TESTS, NO abnormalities, no evidence of plaque...however, two days ago, I woke up and tried to et up and my head was spinning ; felt like vertigo again but it didn't last long....next day I heard echoing in my left ear...it frightened me for awhile because I couldn't understand why...today I am hearing a kind of constant "white noise like sound" in my left ear...no pain, just annoyance...shoud I consult a dr. will it go away...have had recent physical...no problems..on blood pressure medication but no other meds ( losartan and amlodopine) in good physical shape otherwise...b been under some mental stress
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....your symptoms suggest that you are having tinnitus
Detailed answer....
You seem to be suffering from tinnitus.
Tinnitus means hearing the sound where no outside sound exists.
Although not a serious health issue but definitely a very annoying issue and this troubles maximum in night when outside sounds are quite less.
It can be caused by various things like....ear wax,ear infections,old age,blood pressure in itself,use of medicines like aspirin ( in large doses ),certain antibiotics and anti depressants etc.
Very rarely this problem can be causes by malformations of capillaries or acoustic neuroma etc.
You would need to consult an ENT doctor for investigations and examination.
Treatment plan can be instituted once you are evaluated thoroughly,
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to  me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Is it necessary to see a doctor if the sound stops. I am not having the sound in my ears now and the dizziness is not there but might it reappear
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
You may wait if everything is all right now but would definitely need to see an ENT if symptoms return.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T