Suggest treatment for venous malformation on thumb

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Our son has an abnormal vascular vein. we have done a type of therapy where we injected a salution in his thumb. and it didn't seem to work do you have any suggestions for us.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Arteriovenous malformation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question and the photograph.

Is this an venous malformation. If so it sounds although an attempt was made at sclerotherpy to block the enlarged veins.

The 1st thing to say is that if this lesion is not enlarging or causing any functional problems then it can be left alone.

Sometimes medical treatment can be of benefit to reduce the side of certain arteriovenous malformations, one drug that is sometimes used is a beta blocker.

If sclerotherapy fails then the only other option is surgical removal.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 47 minutes later
Could surgery possibly stunt the growth of his thumb? we did the sclerotherpy and it made them go from 2 mm in size to 9 mm in size is that normal. He is 9 months old and I am just really concerned and hoping we didn't do the wrong decision by doing sclerotherpy.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment modalities discussed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for your follow up question.

Surgery to the soft tissues in the thumb will cause some scarring but should not stunt the growth of the thumb.

With AVM's it is not always possible to remove all of the abnormal tissue and so there is a significant risk of recurrence.

The sclerotherapy is unlikely to have made the AVM grow bigger and it may be worth consideration of repeating this treatment before moving onto more aggressive interventions.

Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 4 minutes later
Thank you very much we just wanted to make sure we where doing what's best for our little guy. and from what you are saying we are.

Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your Welcome.

Best wishes