Suggest treatment for vasovagal syncope, drop in heart rate and BP level

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've nearly passed out several times in the past two days but I cant seem to pinpoint why. I have a history of vasovagal response (not sure if that's the proper name) But whenever I get blood drawn or have a medical procedure my heart rate drops to 40ish and my blood pressure to 70/30. Anyhow, I havent had any medical procedures or blood drawn recently so I know it's not that. The past 2 weeks have been very stressful and I've unintentionally lost 12lbs in a week. I know I'm not dehydrated and I've been eating. I haven't had panic attacks and I havent hyperventilated. Is it possible to faint due to stress/fear?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes emotional stress trigger vasovagal attack

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for your query.

I have thoroughly read your query and deeply understand your concern.
Yes, stress or excessive fear triggers vasovagal response resulting in fainting or syncope due to a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure.
Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode.

Normally it doesnot require any treatment. I would suggest-
-Foot exercises, wearing compression stockings or tensing your leg muscles when standing
-Increasing salt in your diet if you don't usually have high blood pressure.
-Avoid prolonged standing & especially in hot, crowded places & drink plenty of fluids.
-Prescription medication(Midodrine) in severe cases to prevent such episodes if it cannot be managed conservatively.

Unintentional weight loss of 12 lbs/week is definitely medically significant and needs a detailed work up for identifying the cause of unexplained weight loss( hormonal disorders, diabetes, infections like tuberculosis etc).

Please feel free to revert for further queries.

Dr.Praveen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen