Suggest treatment for varicose veins while having diabetes

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Sir,

Kindly let me know what all precautions should be taken for varicose veins and any advice for future. Also please let me know if any particular diet or exercise plan needs to be followed.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maintain proper control of diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.
I have gone through your query.Thanks for using HCM.
Your father has Diabetes Mellitus with Neuropathy and varicose veins.
Rupture of such veins may lead to bleeding and need for stitches.
I suggest you following precautions
1.Maintain proper control of Blood sugar.His Fasting sugar must remain between 100 and 110,Post prandial below 180 and HBA1C below 7%.This is must for prevention of any complication and healing of wound.
2.Also avoid using hard shoes and design special shoes so as to avoid any bite.He must not walk bare foot.
3.keep both legs elevated while sitting and sleeping especially one with varicose veins.
3.If there is extreme degree of varicosity then you should consult vascular surgeon for surgical correction.
4.He must avoid smoking,tobacco.
5.Also check his lipid profile and maintain level of cholesterol to desired level,
6.He must avoid sweet,jaggery,ice cream ,chocolatesand try to walk for 30 min daily if permissible by limb condition having varicose veins.
My best wishes
Dr.Teli.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Rajesh Teli 19 hours later
Thank you doctor for your valuable suggestions . I have passed this information to him.

few more doubts I have. kindly answer these as well -

1- Can he do yoga?
2- In the second leg also he is feeling more pain. The veins are swollen. kindly advise.
3- Can we have any surgical/any other solution for this? what will be the approximate cost for the surgery?

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
selected yoga can be performed

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
He can certainly perform yoga ,but he must avoid all Asanas which impose stress on calf muscles.He can certainly do pranayams.
2.For dilated veins in second leg ,precautions remain same.
3.You must consult a vascular surgeon,depending upon type of procedure to be performed cost will vary,
My best wishes
Dr.Teli.
Follow up: Dr. Rajesh Teli 58 minutes later
Thanks alot sir. Appreciate your prompt and helpful response.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
control of Diabetes is most important

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
Control of blood sugar is most important.Please maintain proper diet control,permissible exercise and yoga,regular monitoring and proper adjustments of medication so as to maintain targeted control of Diabetes.
My best wishes
Dr.Teli.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D