Suggest treatment for varicocele and low sperm count

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Jan 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Hi,
I am suffering from Varicocele in my left testicle due to injury in 2008.that time doctor suggested to go for semen analysis. And sperm count was 90ml/ml,and motility and other things are within normal limits.

Now I am married from 2013 and sperm count is 20 ml/ml having motility less than 50%.we are trying for baby since 2.5 years.tried for AIH.my wife also having PCOS.

Plz suggest treatment for varicocele and to increase sperm count and motility.

Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate self-explanatory history.
Noted your history of having normal sperm count of 90 million in 2008, done post trauma and motility too was normal - got varicocele - now married since 2013 and trying for a baby - now the sperm count is 20 million/ml and motility is less than 50% - tried for AIH - wife too has PCOS, another hindrance in pregnancy.

I would advise you the following:
Get a fresh color doppler and ultrasonography of the scrotum.
Consult an Urologist.
Since you have already one criteria for surgery and you are a known case of varicocele, you should undergo variceloctomy surgery as soon as possible.
Your wife should continue the treatment under the care of Gynecologist.

If done properly, the surgery can help you to have the improved the quantity and quality of sperms.

Avoid hot and humid atmosphere.
Have cold scrotal bath whenever possible.
Use loose underwear and pants.

I hope his answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant questions if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Is it possible to get pregnant with AIH ,ICI.

Any tablet or herbal treatment for varicocele
variceloctomy surgery is open surgery??
Ayurveda or yoga will not help??
In XXXXXXX variceloctomy surgery specialist available or not???
Brief Answer:
Surgery is a must.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reports.
Grade III varicocele on left and grade II on the right - should go for varicocelectomy Surgery for the results. This should be done as a open surgery a the mass of veins have to be excised.

Unless the surgery is performed, no other medicines of any XXXXXXX will help. Herbal, Ayurveda, yoga may help only after proper surgery. Pragnancy with AIH depends also upon the PCOS status of your wife and her Gynecologist can guide you the best on this matter.

Since you are in XXXXXXX you may consult any Urologist of repute and always take a second opinion. Even the Doctors at Fertility center can guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 55 minutes later
What is success rate of varicocele surgery??
If fails there is zero chance of getting baby??also is there any failure is sexual erection /total sexual power loss???
How our Gynecologist suggested AIH ??report attached for ref.
4times AIH failed.
Now Dr stopped AIH and given cifolx and glycophase tablet.
We are confused
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not get confused, get proper opinion and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
The success rate can not be calculated as there can not be a group with the same characteristics, but if done properly there is a definite improvement.
The surgery does not alter any sexual erection/pleasure, no power loss, in fact proper surgery helps in improving such things.
Can not really comment upon Gynecologist's opinion; altogether a different subject.

Do not be confused, consider the facts, consult a good Urologist, get examined and surgery if advised.
Gynecologist's opinion and treatment to be continues and if you are not satisfied, get a second opinion of another Gynecologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D