Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for varicocele and low sperm count

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 13164 Questions

Posted on Wed, 13 Jan 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Hi,
I am suffering from Varicocele in my left testicle due to injury in 2008.that time doctor suggested to go for semen analysis. And sperm count was 90ml/ml,and motility and other things are within normal limits.

Now I am married from 2013 and sperm count is 20 ml/ml having motility less than 50%.we are trying for baby since 2.5 years.tried for wife also having PCOS.

Plz suggest treatment for varicocele and to increase sperm count and motility.


Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query and an elucidate self-explanatory history.
Noted your history of having normal sperm count of 90 million in 2008, done post trauma and motility too was normal - got varicocele - now married since 2013 and trying for a baby - now the sperm count is 20 million/ml and motility is less than 50% - tried for AIH - wife too has PCOS, another hindrance in pregnancy.

I would advise you the following:
Get a fresh color doppler and ultrasonography of the scrotum.
Consult an Urologist.
Since you have already one criteria for surgery and you are a known case of varicocele, you should undergo variceloctomy surgery as soon as possible.
Your wife should continue the treatment under the care of Gynecologist.

If done properly, the surgery can help you to have the improved the quantity and quality of sperms.

Avoid hot and humid atmosphere.
Have cold scrotal bath whenever possible.
Use loose underwear and pants.

I hope his answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant questions if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Is it possible to get pregnant with AIH ,ICI.

Any tablet or herbal treatment for varicocele
variceloctomy surgery is open surgery??
Ayurveda or yoga will not help??
In XXXXXXX variceloctomy surgery specialist available or not???
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is a must.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reports.
Grade III varicocele on left and grade II on the right - should go for varicocelectomy Surgery for the results. This should be done as a open surgery a the mass of veins have to be excised.

Unless the surgery is performed, no other medicines of any XXXXXXX will help. Herbal, Ayurveda, yoga may help only after proper surgery. Pragnancy with AIH depends also upon the PCOS status of your wife and her Gynecologist can guide you the best on this matter.

Since you are in XXXXXXX you may consult any Urologist of repute and always take a second opinion. Even the Doctors at Fertility center can guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 55 minutes later
What is success rate of varicocele surgery??
If fails there is zero chance of getting baby??also is there any failure is sexual erection /total sexual power loss???
How our Gynecologist suggested AIH ??report attached for ref.
4times AIH failed.
Now Dr stopped AIH and given cifolx and glycophase tablet.
We are confused
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not get confused, get proper opinion and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
The success rate can not be calculated as there can not be a group with the same characteristics, but if done properly there is a definite improvement.
The surgery does not alter any sexual erection/pleasure, no power loss, in fact proper surgery helps in improving such things.
Can not really comment upon Gynecologist's opinion; altogether a different subject.

Do not be confused, consider the facts, consult a good Urologist, get examined and surgery if advised.
Gynecologist's opinion and treatment to be continues and if you are not satisfied, get a second opinion of another Gynecologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Ultrasonography

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I am married and having a kid of 5 years old. My last period was Feb 23. Till now for this month i have not get periods, have taken...

doctor1 MD

hI, My husband is having pain at right abdomen frequently. Sometimes it s unbearable. He done some tests like sonography It has found that there is...

doctor1 MD

Is Zanocin-400 a drug for Typhoid tretment? Does it control rigers and fever? My doctor has prescribed it as a possibel treatment for typhoid....

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...hello iam surbhi from india .my health problem is heamatourea with...

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

I just got a recall back from a mammogram app. I'm very scared, what could it be if not cancer?

doctor1 MD

I have a constant spasm in my lower left abdomen no pain feels like a baby kicking but I’m 63. What can it be?