Suggest treatment for valley fever

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Infections
Question: I work in an area in CA that has a high cocci concentration in the soil. I had a test for Cocci (Valley Fever) and it was negative. My question is: Since my test was negative, doesn't that mean that because I don't have it in my bloodstream, I don't have immunity, and am higher risk for getting it? I am a 62 yr old woman.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test results mean you are negative for infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I would like to know whether you have any immunological problems like any transplantation, on steroids, diabetes or HIV? Why do you feel you have low immunity? Do you may have a fever, chills, chest pain, dry cough, and a rash? You can get blood tests and X Ray done. Even biopsy can be helpful in some cases. Majority of patients with valley fever get better without treatment. I see no cause of worry in your case.
If your test is negative it means yes you do not have infection. But if your immunity goes down then yes there can be chances of infection. There is no way to prevent it except settling in some new location.

Hope I answered your query
If no clarification then you can close the discussion and rate the answer
A review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma