Suggest treatment for vagus nerve dystonia

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Mar 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: A doctor told me to get checked for vagus nerve dystonia. What are the symptoms of this and why would he say this. My blood pressure is normal and goes up sometimes due to panic and anxiety. I have had several tests done on my heart and everything seems to come back normal. I get slight bradycardia at rest around 52-56 bpm but my heart rate does go up with movement. I am really worried about this. I have never heard of the vagus nerve dystonia and I am afraid now. I do get occasional PACS and a few PVCS but my cardiologist says it is not from a problem with my heart. I've noticed that sometimes when I stand up I will get a few slow heart beats fpr 3-4 seconds and then it speeds up accordingly with movement.
Is this something neurological? I've had chest x ray, holter, ultrasound of the heart, stress test and a lot of blood testing and everything is normal including liver and kidney function and blood count. I do suffer from a lot of problems with digestion and my heart sometimes races after I get bloated after eating
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome,seel the following...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

1. It is true that mal-digestion and bloating might cause problems like extrasystoles. This is because the stomach will be distended, it will cause pressure to the heart causing extrasystoles.

If I was your caring doctor would advise to run:
- abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the status of your gallbladder and pancreas
- blood pancreatic enzymes

2. In order to relieve the symptoms, you should :
- avoid carbonated drinks
- eat often and small portions
- take simethicone to relieve bloating
3. Acid reflux can also trigger or mimic the heart problems like PVCS. Upper endoscopy is advised for further evaluations. As treatment, apart diet changes, I advise to start taking PPIs like omeprazole or pantoprazole.

4. Dystonia itself is a neurological disorder that is associated with involuntary muscle contractions (spasms). Tilt test is necessary to determine if vagal nerve is involved.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Hi Doctor Thank you for your response. I had an admonish ultrasound today and I'm just waiting on the results. All my blood work has come back normal. If the pvcs are not originating from the heart, my cardiologist says they are harmless and only become a problem when the heart is weak and you have more than 20 percent of total heart beats as pvcs. If it is from anxiety and my stomach are they still benign? I am so worried just want to get life back
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, they are benign

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

1. I am happy to know that cardiologist confirmed nothing worrisome.

2. If anxiety and stomach problems will be confirmed as potential causes, there is still nothing to worry about again.

They are benign and not serious. Once you treat your stomach problems, you will feel much better.

With regards to anxiety, you should try your best to control it.
Breathing fresh air and physical activity can also help.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad