Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for vaginal itching and lumps

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have had vaginal itching on the outside for months. It has recently become severe. I developed large lumps under the skin which also itch. I have been to a MD and a Gyno. The Gyno gave me antibiotics which have reduced the size of the lumps but the itching persists. What type of dr should I see? The Gyno suggested maybe a dermatologist because she just wasnt sure how to treat me.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide me pictures , will surely help you

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same .
I can sense that you have already been treated with various antifungals .
I would like to have a look at the exact skin condition which will help us in reaching a definite diagnosis .
Kindly click some close up pictures of the skin condition and upload them here on this page.
Also tell since when do you have this problem?
Is there any associated pain also?
Does it heal completely in between or is it persistent?
Do you apply any creams or oil over the area?
Do you notice any whitish discharge?
Is there any itching over rest of the body?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal itching and lumps 2 hours later
The itching is on the outside only. This has been going on since Dec 2013. The lumps appeared one other time but were much smaller and went almost away. But then they came back. One of them became about the size of a quarter and under the skin. The other about the size of a dime. I also developed a boil on the very top of my leg at the back. All 3 of these have gone down in size due to antibiotics. I use Vagisil every night and morning. No discharge or pain. Just itching on the outside of the vaginal area and on the lumps. No other itching on the rest of my body. The vagisil no longer relieves the itching. The itching is usually more severe at night. I am presently at work and do not have pictures. The lumps are not easily seen except maybe with a side view. The area is not discolored and does not have a discharge. I really need to know what kind of doctor I should see.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need a dermatology opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From the description you have provided, I suspect that you have developed recurrent folliculitis along with neurodermatitis .
Since you have already been using a lot of medicines without complete relief, I would advise you to see a dermatologist who can examine the area directly and prescribe you accordingly.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal itching and lumps 1 hour later
I was reading on the internet about a condition called Bartholin gland cyst. Could it possibly be this? Does this cause itching or can it be the result of itching? Or may be that I have Bartholin gland cysts and something separate that is causing itching.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a nearby dermatologist

Detailed Answer:

Since you had the swellings earlier and they decreased on intake of certain antibiotics, then the probable cause in your case can either be lesions of folliculitis or bartholin cyst infection.
You might be right in suspecting a bartholin infection but this mostly leads to pain and discomfort . Itching can only rarely be attributed to it.
In my viewpoint, in any such case with recurrent problems, a direct dermatological examination is very essential .
You might be having a chronic infection or eczema of the vulval skin.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal itching and lumps 17 hours later
Thanks so much for your information. My main reason for writing was to see which type of doctor I should see. I have made an appointment with a dermatologist for next Monday so hopefully I can deal with this a while longer. I will take the info with me to my doctor appointment.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a dermatologist for your problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

A dermatologist would be the best person to consult for your problem.
You can discuss the information provided with your doctor.
A direct examination of the affected area will help in reaching a definite diagnosis .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor