Suggest treatment for vaginal itching and burning despite taking anti-fungal cortisone cream

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have micro ulcerative colitis. This causes me to have bowel movements 4-5 times a day. It has the texture of think paste and with the hemroids I have it is very difficult to clean my self. I am having severe itching and burning from the vaginal area beyond the anus. I have prescription anti fungal cortisone cream but its not clearing up. Help. I am miserable
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take oral antifungals.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Just using ointment won't help you .You have to take an antifungal like fluconazole for few days.
I would suggest you to take-
Tab fluconazole 200mg once every alternate day for 10 days (broad spectrum anti fungal). Its an antibiotic and can have side effects. You will need a prescription to get it.
Along with it use Betnovate gm (Betamethasone Topical with gentamycin) ointment thrice a day locally over the area.
Vaginal suppository like cilingen(clindamycin) can be used every day to prevent infection to spread in vagina.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj