Suggest treatment for vaginal infection

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I have been dealing with a vaginal infection since last December. Nothing is giving me an relief. Also I'm not tolerant of many drugs. I have been tested and it is not a yeast infection.
I am considering holistic treatment. Any suggestions or comments?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do read my points before we can take this forward

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence an would like you to know that I am here to help. I can understand that you are clearly frustrated with the treatment not being effective, but there are a couple of things we should consider before we go ahead with the suggestions ma'am:

1. Has your diagnosis been established? Because from the statement 'it is not a yeast infection', it sounds like the diagnosis has not yet been established? Please elaborate on what has been done, and what the current floating diagnosis is?

2. Were the following conducted:
+Vaginal swab test
+Urine culture and sensitivity
+STD-panel

3. Are you still sexually active? And if yes, were you sexually active during the course of the treatment?

4. Can you tell me how or what brought about the onset of the infection?

5. Recurrent infections or poor response to treatment should be considered for a more elaborate evaluation to rule out conditions like vaginal prolapse, uterine growths, uterine prolapse, etc. You will require a CT abdomen and pelvis to rule out all these conditions that can cause failure of treatment or recurrent infections

As for holistic treatment, this is not my field and so I cannot really suggest it but I do not suggest it. I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further. Please do not hesitate to write back to me with any further information or clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have no confirmed floating diagnosis , yes I have had vaginal testing but don't remember any uterine cultures. What is a STD test?
Everything came back OK.

No just turned 70 so I'm not sexually active in the true sense.

I have no idea what brought it on. I have been prone to yeast infections for many years so I thought at first that was what this was. The meds I take for yeast infections didn't help so I knew I had something else with which to deal.

Do I talk with mu Doctor about the testing? If he doesn't order it my insurance
won't cover me. Is this something you can help with. I do believe that I'll need a script for the test

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have a number of worries with how the case is being handled

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

1. If you have an infection, the vaginal swab should have shown which infection it was.

Along with this, the urine culture and sensitivity should have also been conducted to check which antibiotics will be most effective in your case, so please do request your doctor for this test.

And STD-panel is a panel conducted to check a number of sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhoea, chlamydia, herpes, HPV, HIV, etc. This is also necessary as there could be some dormant underlying infections unknown to the individual that can at times cause such symptoms

The above mentioned tests are all that is required to confirm the diagnosis, and if they were conducted and you have an infection, then they cannot come back ok, so please take this up with your doctor and write back to me on what exactly was conducted and what was not.

I don't think my prescription will work or even be valid in your country, so you will have to speak to your doctor and convince him/her. Ask him/her the most important question, 'What is my diagnosis based on which you are treating me, because from the basic information I have, you cannot initiate treatment for me blindly, without even knowing the diagnosis or what condition I have?'

I am always here to help, but I do not want this to be a case of negligence and so your doctor really needs to buck up.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan